Malachi - Chapter 2:14-16
14. ...the Lord is acting as the
witness between you and the wife of your youth, because you have broken
faith with her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage
15. Has not the Lord made them one? In flesh and spirit they are his.
And why one? Because he was seeking godly offspring. So guard yourself
in your spirit, and do not break faith with the wife of your youth.
16. "I hate divorce," says the Lord God.
Matthew – Chapter 5:32
32. But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife,
except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress,
and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.
Matthew – Chapter 19:4-9
4. “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at
the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’
5. and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother
and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’?
6. So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined
together, let man not separate.”
7. “Why then,“ they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife
a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
8. Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because
your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.
9. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness,
and marries another woman commits adultery.”
Mark 10:2-9 (
taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation ©. Copyright ©
1996, by Tyndale Chariatable Trust)
2. Some Pharisees came and tried
to trap him with this question: "Should a man be allowed to divorce
3. "What did Moses say about divorce?" Jesus asked them.
4. "Well, he permitted it," they replied. "He said a man
merely has to write his wife an official letter of divorce and send her
5. But Jesus responded, "He wrote those instructions only as a concession
to your hard-hearted wickedness.
6. But God's plan was seen from the beginning of creation, for He made
them male and female.
7. This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined
to his wife,
8. and the two are united into one. Since they are no longer two but one,
9. no one separate them, for God has joined them together."
First Corinthians - Chapter 7:10-11
10. To the married I give this
command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband.
11. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to
her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.
First Corinthians - Chapter 7:39
39. A woman is bound to her husband
as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone
she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord.
Scripture taken from the Holy Bible, New International
Version©. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, by International Bible
Society. Used by permission of the International Bible Society. "NIV"
and "New International Version" are trademarks registered in
the United States Patent and Trademark office by International Bible Society